Thursday, March 3, 2011

Ari & Me


For those of you who have facebook accounts, you can see a political argument I had with Ari Lehman (the first person to ever play Jason) on his facebook page. I have debates occasionally with Victor Miller (screen writer for Friday the 13th and the creator of Jason) and though we are from different ends of the political spectrum, I have found we agree on a lot of fundamentals and our debates have always been civil.

Ari, on the other hand, called me a "lackey" who "obeys the rich", told me I was "betraying the efforts of my ancestors" (because I didn't support the striking public sector unions in Wisconsin), told me I speak only "brainwashed drivel" and asserted that I was trying to "assuage [my] guilt" for betraying the working people of America. He claimed to be well read, sitting frequently in his public library and reading books on political theory and economics, yet none of this supposed learning made an appearance in this thread, or an earlier thread we debated the same topic on.

You can see the thread here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=185993121437987&id=1047362220

I don't get offended by other people's political beliefs, nor did I find his ad homs anything but amusing... the only frustrating thing really was his inability to support any of his positions with anything resembling logic or education. You could never accuse Ari of being dispassionate, thats for sure.

The funny thing is, I don't think we have any real fundamental differences in belief. I am a Libertarian who is as distrustful of government as I am corporations... Ari claims to have similar ideas. The man just loves his unions apparently, despite the fact that public sector unions are inherently corrupt, giving huge amounts of campaign money to the people they will later negotiate luxurious salaries and benefits with that dwarf comparable private sector benefits.

I have never met Ari in person, but if I do, I don't think I will be able to resist bringing up politics now. lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment