I've been working on perfecting my P3/4 buck for about three years now and I believe I've gotten it as accurate as I'll ever get it. Below are some comparisons between my test blanks and the best shots I could find of the original Part 3 and 4 movie masks.
Below is the Part 3 hero mask as photographed for a Part 5 poster, next to my Part 3 test blank.
And a raw Part 4 blank compared to the movie mask.
The Part 4 hero photographed back in 2012 along with the Part 4 blank.
These blanks measure 20 x 26 cm (10 5/16 x 8 in.) so they're pretty large. Comparing with our only measurement of an authentic Part 3 or 4 screen used mask (below) they seem to line up perfectly.
A finished piece can look nearly identical to a movie mask, as shown below. Note that the below example was made from an earlier version of the buck, before several holes were moved.
I started this project back in 2022 after I saw the Hollywood Museum mask in person for the first time. I started with a copy of a Plante mask, and built it ground-up from there. It was a more complex process than I thought and quite a few changes had to be made to get it to look accurate, which has taken years of refinements.
I created this buck for my own personal mask projects. I don't plan on selling a lot of these, but I will make a few available for a short time. Pulled in .080 gauge clear PETG only.









You already know what I think about your work! This is as good as it gets people - hands down! Your work on this project from start to.finish is just simply amazing! Go ahead and pat yourself on the back because you certainly out did yourself here pal! For those of you thinking about getting in on one of these blanks, then DO IT NOW WHILE YOU STILL HAVE THE CHANCE! Richard and Ted would be very proud! 😎
ReplyDelete