Friday, September 13, 2024

My Final Part 3 Mask

 

This is it! My last part 3 hero mask. I don't think I have any more in me and I accomplished what I set out to do back in 2009 -- create the most accurate possible part 3 replica I possibly could.

This was a painstaking process that I worked on off and on for a couple of years. Back in 2022 I created my own part 3 buck ground-up from a Plante mask after having seen the Hollywood Museum mask in person. This is a clear PETG blank from that buck pulled in 0.060 thickness, which I believe is correct to the movie mask.

The mask was base-coated front and back with Krylon Dover White, the cracks hand-etched with an x-acto knife to be as close to the original as possible (this part takes several days), painted weathering carefully applied with acrylics, then given five coats of Maimeri's patina varnish. It was finished with Krylon Kamar varnish and movie-accurate 7/8 inch straps. I can't claim it's flawless, but it's a keeper for me. Happy Friday the 13th!


2 comments:

  1. With what did you aply the acrylic weathering JL1980 im a verry big fan of you sinds i was 16 never got the nerves to ask you somthing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I'm not sure the original is that thin, but everything else is spot on. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete