Sunday, March 3, 2019

The Best Part 3 Replica Ever Sculpted?

A couple years ago I told myself I was done buying fan sculpts--strictly movie mold from here on in. And then Dan Bachenberg started sculpting Jason pieces again and oh my goooooooooood



No part 3 fan sculpt is perfect. But detail for detail, this is easily the most accurate replication of this design. Beats Dan's earlier design. Beats the puffy-looking MEL Inc. and HHH busts. Destroys the classic ITZ-U. Not even a contest.

I don't want to get too deep in the weeds but let me show you a quick comparison so you can see. Both the MEL Inc. and the Hangman III are lovely sculpts. But the ears, the back of the head, the forehead, the sagging eye, the curve of the nose, and the chin are all more accurately reproduced on Dan's. The face is also more angular and less puffy than the MEL Inc.


I know the MEL Inc. is supposedly "movie mold" but if that's the case, it has been so thoroughly retooled it's essentially a tribute sculpt.

I bought a blank from Dan-- it was only $250, a fraction of the price of the MEL Inc.-- and I absolutely cannot wait to paint it.


2 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely fantastic! I feel like the perfect part 3 sculpt would be a mix between this and the MEL inc.

    With this and Auz’s new part 3 bust on the market, will you be updating your part III sculpt list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. MEL Inc. has some things better-- the top of the head, the upper-lip area and parts of the back of the neck look better. Both really stellar sculpts.

      I might have to update the list that's a good point. Especially since these really blow away most previous part 3 sculpts.

      Delete